Over the past 176 years, our church has been located at six different places, in seven different buildings, and has had four different names.
In 1842 a group of Methodists from Mulberry Street United Methodist Church decided that there was a need for a Sunday School in an area known as Pumpkin Hollow. The seeds of our church today were planted in that attempt to meet the spiritual needs of the community.
Wesley is here today because of that Sunday School mission, which served Native Americans, traders, hunters, fishermen and their families. For a number of years the church met in houses in that area.
After a couple of moves and 14 years of meeting in a Presbyterian mission, the church built its own building and took the name Jones Chapel. The hand-carved pulpit from that church is still on display in the narthex.
In 1904 a lot was purchased on Second Street and the church took the name Second Street United Methodist Church. The church thrived in that location for many years. It would not be until May of 1976 that the first service would be held on the present site on Hartley Bridge Road and become Wesley United Methodist Church.